The SPL 2272 GainStation 1 Single-Channel Mic & Instrument PreAmp is a single-channel microphone and instrument preamplifier which can help in the sprucing up of your digital recordings with analog sound processing.
The majority of audio production nowadays relies increasingly on digital systems for recording and mixing processes (DAWs, digital consoles etc.). But it is widely held that digital systems do not offer the same audio qualities, characteristics and the sonic texture of high-end analog equipment. And it is questionable as to whether or not digital equalizers and other digital gear in the mixing domain can compete with an open and transparent analog sound. As a result, SPL created the GainStation 1 to assist the engineer in regaining some of this analog sound even in a digital setting. Attacking this problem on the preamplification front, with the goal of noticeably improving a signal and sending it along its path with a healthy sonic foundation, SPL spent a great deal of thought and focused their engineering effort to create this preamplifier.
The GainStation 1's compact design will allow users free placement of the unit outside of a rack and closer to the microphone. Musicians can place it easily on a rack or amplifier or almost anywhere they desire analog produced sound. To accommodate portability, the optionally available SPL GainBag helps ensure safe transport of the GainStation 1 to and from a gig or session, and offers additional storage for cables and different-sized microphones. In addition, the design of the case allows for easy access to the unit's inputs and outputs. For more permanent installations, up to four GainStation 1's can be rackmounted in one optionally available 4-unit rackmounting frame.
Guitarists and bassists can also benefit from utilizing the GainStation 1, as their instruments will go through the analog path and warm up with the preamp's analog "sound engine." With this more natural analog feel to the texture of the signal, less EQ'ing will be needed, thereby avoiding a possible pitfall in the digital audio realm. And in what is often the case, compression of the signal becomes unnecessary as the preamp will subtly do that job on its own—via its tubes—in the analog domain. This can free up computer processing power, too, and can have an extremely positive effect on the final result.
The GainStation 1 is designed to offer effective sound-shaping capabilities at the point of recording, most notably via the tube stage. It can be completely bypassed or continuously added to the preamp circuit, allowing everything from extremely subtle "warmth" to a very noticeable tube saturation effect. The integrated limiter can be used to protect an internal or external AD converter from clipping, or for example, to add punch to drum tracks, which in turn reduces or in many cases even eliminates the need for subsequent compression. Put simply, The GainStation 1 is engineered to improve tracks to the point that the mix will be easier to handle due to improved track sound quality.
The GainStation 1 features separate solid-state and tube preamplifiers. The tube preamp can be used in addition to the solid-state stage to add tube saturation, while for cleaner recording results it can be switched off. The GS1 also features a Peak / FET limiter to help keep control of your preamped signals. Another sound-shaping feature is the selectable mic-input impedance, which can be switched between 4 settings: 200 Ohms, 1 kOhm, 2 kOhms, and 10 kOhms. Fully discrete op-amps feature an operating voltage of 60V, twice the voltage of many more common amps, thus increasing the unit's dynamic range. All switching functions are handled by encapsulated relays with gold-plated contacts for lower noise performance and a best-connection scenario. The unit's power supply is built with additional shielding to help keep noise interference to a minimum.
There is an optional A to D available as a separate purchase.
The GainStation 1 is a flexible, more compact, use almost anywhere preamp designed to deliver high-quality, analog-inspired sound.
- Fully discrete, Class-A op-amps with 60V operation voltage
- High amplifier slew rate for cleaner transmission of hi-frequency signal and rapid transients with no clipping
- Mostly DC-coupled signal path
- Optimized signal path for low impedance and maximized shielding
- All resistors are within 0.1% tolerance for improved and consistent performance
- A tube stage utilizing premium MKP foil condensers and a select 12 AX7 LPS tube for enhanced audio performance
FREE SHIPPING DETAILS
*Please note that only Canada Post delivers to PO boxes.
- Free Shipping offer is valid on selected products only.
- Orders will be sent by the shipping method of sender's choice unless specified at the time of order.
- Free Shipping offer is valid only if all the items in the shopping cart are eligible for Free Shipping
and the order is $200.00 and over (before taxes).
- Free Shipping is valid only within Canada.
- Orders shipped to Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Yukon are not eligilble for free shipping.
- Our everyday low shipping charges will be applied to any non-eligible products at the time of checkout..
- Courier shipments require an adult signature for proof of delivery..
- RED ONE Music reserves the right to end or modify this Free Shipping offer at any time.
- Return shipping costs are the responsibility of the buyer.
RED ONE Music reserves the right to refuse any order with Free Shipping which the website accidentally
offered but did not meet the criteria above. The client will be notified with an every day low shipping charge and
asked if they would like to proceed with the order or have it cancelled.
- All delivery charges and taxes will be added when applicable to the prices shown on our Website.
- Duties and brokerage fees (if any) will be the sole responsibility of the customer, and may be collected by a third party.
- Please make sure you have entered the correct information for your coordinates and currency to get the correct pricing for your location.
- International shipping: We are not responsible for any duty/import/taxes/customs/etc charges.
- We do not refund unclaimed or undeliverable packages due incorrect/missing information. If a package is returned as undeliverable/unclaimed, it is the customers responsibility to follow up with the postal carrier and absorb all fees related.
Note: If the name on your billing address does not match the name on your credit card it will delay your order.
- All returned opened items are subject to a min 15% to maximum 25% restocking fee.
- All returned items can take up to 10-14 days to be processed.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, returns will be accepted for store credit (less restocking fee & shipping) within 30 days of invoice date.
- RED ONE Music will accept returns for defective goods that you have ordered from us within 30 days of invoice date for exchange only.
- All Returns must contain all associated packaging and materials (ie accessories, manuals, wires, etc). Merchandise that is not returned in brand-new condition, including damages, abuse, marks, showing wear, or with missing packaging or accessories, will be subject to additional charges. Shipping and Handling charges (delivery and return) are non-refundable, including any shipping fees not directly incurred that are part of a free shipping promotion. Any items packaged with software, including but not limited to, DJ Controllers, Audio Interfaces, etc., must be returned with the original software disc including serial number and proof of deactivation.
- Returns or exchanges will not be accepted for the following types of products: Customized, special order, used products, clearance products, expendable items, cartridges, replacement lamps/bulbs, opened computer hardware, rigging supplies, tape, needles, cleaner kits, effect fluid or juice, software, gels, music, displays/televisions/monitors or parts (replacement, repair or item components) - these products are final sale.
- Returns or exchanges for the following items will only be accepted if they are in factory sealed packaging due to hygienic reasons: headphones & microphones.
- All returns made MUST be authorized in advance by a customer service representative - and paper work dispatched to you via email. Your RMA form must be included in the box and your RMA number located on the waybill / packaging. Any returned items that arrive without prior approval or missing documentation may be rejected by our shippers. Once received, returns will be processed within 5 business days.
- If your parcel was damaged in transport, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and include a picture of the exterior of the box, the interior of the box, and of the damaged product. No claims will be accepted without these pictures.
If you happen to receive a parcel that got damaged during transport, we must obtain the the following pictures in order to swiftly process a replacement:- outside of the shipping box along with a photo of the shipping label- inside packaging of the shipping box- the damaged unit itself
- Refunds by e-transfer will be issued to the email address that is associated with your customer profile. The password will be sent to you in a separate email once the refund has been issued. Please note that a $5 service fee will be deducted from your total refund amount if:
-> a change of email address is requested once the e-transfer has already been sent
-> a typo or error has been made in the email address that is associated to your customer profile
- RED ONE Music is an authorized retailer for each of the brands available on our website. As such, your purchase is authorized for the manufacturer's warranty in Canada.
In store pick-ups
- To be eligible for a store pick-up, please review the criteria below:
- If your order is paid by credit card, you then qualify for a store pick-up. Note that once you pick-
- up your order, you must present a valid government photo ID as well as the original credit card
- used during the purchase. The name and address must match the name and billing/shipping
- address associated to the order.
- If your order is paid by e-transfer, you then qualify for a store pick-up. You must present a valid
- government photo ID to match the name appearing on the e-transfer information.
- If your order is paid by Paybright, you then qualify for a store pick-up. You must present a valid
- government photo ID to match the name appearing on the Paybright application.
- Please note that all orders paid using PayPal will not qualify for store pick-up. If you paid by
- credit card using the PayPal platform, this payment method will also not qualify for store pick-
All orders that are picked-up in store must sign the release form acknowledging the reception of your
order. Note that Music Red One may request to take a copy of your government photo ID to add to this
1. At checkout, select PayBright as your payment method
2. Enter a few pieces of information and get a real-time decision
3. Enjoy your purchase, and pay over time. Your payments will be automatically charged, so you can sit back and relax
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.